Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Panini and grilled cheese sandwiches are nothing new but for some reason you rarely, if ever, see Muenster cheese used on them. Muenster cheese reminds me of Germany which makes me happy. Combine that with caramelized onions, roast beef, pastrami and a homemade ’1000 island‘ style dressing instead of the sugary store bought kind on toasted buttery sourdough and you’re talking about a seriously delicious sandwich
Thousand Island Sandwich Dressing
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dill relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 -4 good shakes Tabasco sauce
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough sandwich bread, good quality
- 4 ounces thousand island dressing (see recipe above)
- 4 ounces aioli or 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 8 slices muenster cheese, sliced
- 8 ounces rare roast beef, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces pastrami, sliced thinly
- dill pickle, as desired
- 4 ounces caramelized onions
- unsalted butter, melted
- Sandwich dressing.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, relishes, onion, garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, and black pepper to taste. Mix well! Makes about 2 cups dressing.
- Assemble the sandwich.
- For each Panini: on one slice of bread, spread sandwich dressing, while on the other, spread aioli or mayo. Layer Muenster cheese, roast beef, and pastrami, then top with pickles and caramelized onions. Close the sandwich. Brush outer sides of sandwich generously with melted Unsalted Tillamook Butter. Press on Panini grill or toast in pan or on flattop grill. Serve with garlic parmesan fries, sweet potato fries or small side salad.
Since DS is working evenings tonight, I reduced this to 3 servings. Made this as written, though for the dressing, used fatfree mayo, and sour cream, and left out the tobasco. These do make big sandwiches. Very filling, and flavorful. Kids really enjoyed these Made` for PRMR,.