Recipe by shawnajean
I got this recipe from a Parent & Child Mag. I thought my kids would like this.
- 1 large pineapple
- 4 avocados
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced seeds discarded (kids should not handle) (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 (12 ounce) bag tortilla chips, triangle shaped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep the pineapple by cutting one side off, removing about 1/3 of the fruit from top to bottom.
- Tip over the pineapple, so it resembles a flat-topped "boat" with leafy stern. Remove the core by cutting the top and bottom of the "v" to loosen and remove the cut piece.
- Using a curved, serrated knife or a spoon, remove the rest of the fruit from the pineapple shell.
- Cut avocados in halfand remove the pits. Give each child a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the skin and into a bowl, mashing and mushing it along the way.
- Add the onion, tomato cilantro, pineapple, and jalapeno (optional). Mix throughly.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Scoop this mixture into the pineapple boat and add a triangle tortilla chip sail. Serve with salsa and triangle tortilla chips.