Not sure where this recipe came from but I love the soft chewy center and the crisp outside. I like to toast the pecans but they taste fine untoasted as well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheets with baking spray.
- toast pecans in oven or in saucepan over medium heat.
- cream shortening, butter, and sugars.
- add eggs and vanilla.
- combine dry ingredients (3-1/2 cups flour, salt, and baking soda). Add them to the creamed mixture and stir well.
- Stir in toasted pecans and chocolate chips.
- Dip a 1/4 cup baking scoop into a bowl of extra flour, tap excess flour off the scoop (this will prevent dough from sticking to the scoop, redip in flour as needed).
- drop cookie dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto greased cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- bake 13-15 minutes (13 for chewier cookie, 15 for crisper cookie).
- cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet.
These were really good. They were nice and soft in the middle. Be careful not to overcook them, though. I did that with the first pan because I thought they should be darker colored and they turned out crunchy. 14 minutes was the perfect amount in my oven. Thanks for the recipe!
Yum! I just pulled these out of the oven and they are divine! I really like the crispness that the shortening gives the outside of the cookie, almost like pie crust. The only change I'll make next time is to add a bit more salt, maybe another 1/4 tsp. I split this recipe in half and got 10 giant cookies. Thanks for the recipe!
Just made these this morning. These are great!! Very big!! I was skeptical about the baking time but I only had to bake 16 min. I used 1/2 baking powder and 1/2 baking soda. This is definitely a keeper!!