Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this off of the Kraft website. This looks really interesting and easy
Make and share this Monster Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix (2-layer size)
- 3 ounces vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix (4-serving size)
- 8 ounces light cream cheese (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 16 ounces powdered sugar, sifted (4 to 4-1/2 cups)
- 3⁄4 ounce black decorating gel
- 8 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
- 3 miniature marshmallows, cut in half
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package (subbing applesauce for oil and egg beaters for eggs). Add dry pudding mix; mix well. Spoon evenly into 24 paper-lined medium muffin cups. Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and food coloring in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Arrange cupcakes on large serving platter or tray to resemble a monster's head. Spread with frosting. Use decorating gel to outline the eyes, mouth, scars and hairline on the cupcakes. Fill in the hair with cookie crumbs. Place 2 of the marshmallow halves in centers of eyes; place remaining 4 marshmallow halves in the mouth for teeth. Store in refrigerator.
Totally cute and fun to make. We didn't use the cream cheese frosting out of our family's preference, but used up some tubs of whipped frosting from the pantry. This is a very neat idea for Halloween or anytime really. I made the cake mix as directed, not with the applesauce. I will try that next time. Made and Reviewed for Every Day Holiday Tag - Thanks! :)