Recipe by MarieRynr
In Wales, lamb has always been a populular ingredient for stews and casseroles and this Welsh recipe contains leeks and pearl barley.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing lamb, cubed (or 8 lamb chops trimmed)
- 1 ounce seasoned flour
- 1 ounce butter or 1 ounce oil
- 4 -6 leeks, cut into rings
- 12 ounces pearl barley
- 4 sprigs parsley, plug
- 1 sprig thyme, plus
- 1 bay leaf, tied together with string
- salt and black pepper
- 3⁄4-1 pint lamb stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350*F or Mark 4.
- Toss the lamb with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and lightly brown the meat all over for 1 minutes.
- Add the leeks and fry for a further minute, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the barley, herbs and seasonings, then pour over the stock.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 1 12 to 2 hours. Remove the bundle of herbs (bouquet garni) before serving and serve with boiled potatoes.
- Alternateively, if desired, the stew can be cooked gently, covered, on top of the stove until the meat is tender.