There is this cool little Belgian Bar in Philadelphia's Center City that serves like a million different beers and the best mussels I've ever had. Here's how to make them! 6 servings would be as an appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup clam broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (fishsauce)
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1**you can substitue one tablespoon mashed anchovy or paste diluted w/ sherry or wine if you don’t have fish sauce.
- 2Sautee garlic, lemongrass and ginger in oil for about two minutes, until fragrant but not browned.
- 3Whisk in the rest of the ingredient except the mussels and about half of the cilantro and half of the basil.
- 4Bring to a light simmer about 3-4 minutes
- 5Add the mussels, stir and cover)
- 6Cook about 4-5 minutes until mussels open (throw away any that don’t open after 5 mins of cooking).
- 7Remove mussles from the broth and into a large serving bowl, Strain broth over top of the mussels and sprinkle with remaining cilanto.and basil.
- 8Serve with some nice crusty bread and Belgian Fries with Bourbon dipping sauce!
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monk's Mussels in Thai Curry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.4
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 64.8 mg
- Sodium 1226.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai red curry paste