This sweet lobster-like fish is delicious with this garlicky tomato sauce and a cold glass of white wine. Compliments of F & W magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads garlic, plus
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 (6 ounce) monkfish fillets, cleaned, about 2-inch thick
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a Lg. skillet, warm 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the sliced garlic and cook slowly over very low heat, shaking the skillet, until the garlic is deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove about 1/4 cup of garlic slices and reserve. Add paprika to remaining garlic in skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the water and simmer until the sauce reduces to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2In a very Lg. skillet, heat the remaining 3 Tbls of olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Turn, transfer to the oven and roast until just cooked though, 15 minutes.
- 3Transfer fish to a Lg, warmed platter. Pour any juices from the skillet into the sauce and simmer 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce onto plates and set the fish on top. Scatter the fried garlic over the fish and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monkfish in Tomato-Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.6
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.5 mg
- Sodium 105.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: