Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Monkeygland Sauce is a restaurant item in South Africa. The piquant sauce features a blend of fruit and spices and is often used with steak, hamburgers, pork ribs or chicken. Several popular South African fast-food chains serve a Monkeygland Burger. Absolutely no monkeys are involved in the making of this famous condiment.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chutney (fruity)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mild prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 5 tablespoons port wine or 5 tablespoons muscadel wine
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth (chicken stock or meat stock)
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Fry the onions, garlic and ginger in the oil until translucent.
- Combine all other ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, stirring often for about 6 - 10 minuets.
- Served hot or cold with most beef, grilled or roasted. Can last for long in refrigerator can even be frozen.