Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the "Friends" cookbook "Cooking with Friends" Ross's monkey Marcel's favorite treat
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, plus
- 12 walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously grease a 12 cup mini-muffin pan tin (the cups are about 2 inches in diameter) and set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the top of a double boiler, stirring until smooth, set the mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in egg, coffee liquor, and espresso powder.
- Gently fold in the flour and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling the cups about 3/4 full.
- Place a walnut half in the center of each cup.
- Bake until the center of one of the cakes comes out clean when pricked with a toothpick, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in tins about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
I can see why they would be Marcel's favourite treat!!! These tiny choco-mocha bites are very chocolaty and the crunchy walnuts make them special. I would serve these for any occasion. I prepared the recipe in a heavy bottomed pot on the stove, as long as you keep the heat low and stir the butter and chocolate until melted it will work fine. Oooooh my these little mouthfuls are delicious!