Recipe by Iceland
What a twist to an all time favorite! I make cheese balls all the time as you can make them before head when you are awaiting a crowd or have hungry guests dropping in without knowing beforehand. Sometimes neither me and nor DH feel for cooking, then we just sit down, i chop up some apples, carrots and find some crackers or nice bread and we enjoy some really fast dinner which still makes you feel good. The bananas give this cheeseball a slightly sweet taste which is though not over whelming as there are lots of spices too. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I can recommend to serve it with salted crackers or, if you like it to bee more filling, with dark, freshly baked rye bread. Note: Cooking time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Studentchef
This was a fantastic cheese ball! I never had a banana mixed in with a cheese ball, but here it worked out wonderfully, and it blended in extremely well. I don't think i would change a thing, as none of the ingredients overpowered any of the others. And it was so pretty to see the colour of the thyme mix with the colour of the walnuts, too.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (hot)
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried
- 1 banana (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- thyme, fresh (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften the cream cheese in your mixer or food processor.
- Add salt, roasted garlic and thyme and beat until well blended.
- Stir inn the chopped up banana, green onion and cheddar cheese.
- Blend in 1 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Shape into ball and roll in the remaining walnuts.
- Decorate with fresh thyme leaves if you like.
- Serve and enjoy.