1/1 Photo of Monkey Cake
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
* Pamela *'s Note:
I made this for my Daughter's 8th birthday Party for her Jungle Party! This cakes goes great with Chunky Monkey Ice Cream!! Double cake ingredients for a larger bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large bananas, mashed (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- chocolate icing
- vanilla icing, tinted yellow with
- yellow food coloring
- 2 Junior mints
- 1 black licorice bootlace, for decorating
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Butter and flour an 8 1/2-inch-diameter 3-quart stainless-steel or oven proof bowl and 1 cup of a large (1-cup capacity) muffin tin; set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- 4In a separate medium bowl, whisk together bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- 5In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and brown sugar; mix on medium-high until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes; mix in eggs.
- 6Reduce speed to medium; mix in flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with banana mixture.
- 7Fill prepared muffin cup three-quarters full.
- 8Transfer remaining batter to prepared baking bowl.
- 9Transfer to oven, side by side.
- 10Bake cupcake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- 11Let cool in tin on a wire rack.
- 12Continue baking large cake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes more (1 hour and 40 minutes total).
- 13Let cool in bowl on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- 14Invert bowl to remove cake; let cool completely.
- 15Trim flat side of cake to be level.
- 16Trim away top of cupcake to be level.
- 17Cut cupcake in half vertically for the two monkey ears.
- 18Cut bowl cake in half horizontally to make 2 layers.
- 19Spread 3/4 cup chocolate buttercream on top of flat layer.
- 20Top with domed layer.
- 21Transfer to a cake plate.
- 22Spread a thick layer of chocolate buttercream over entire monkey head.
- 23Spread icing over cupcake ears.
- 24Attach ears to sides of head, top of cupcake facing forward, securing with toothpicks.
- 25Fill a piping bag fitted with a large plain round tip with yellow icing.
- 26Pipe an oval near the front base of cake.
- 27Fill in with frosting, and smooth.
- 28Place 2 small pieces of licorice rope inside for nose.
- 29Add a long piece of rope for mouth.
- 30Place Junior Mints above oval for eyes.
- 31Pipe yellow half-circles in centers of ears; fill in with frosting, and smooth.
- 32Decorated cake can be refrigerated up to 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monkey Cake
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.0
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.9 mg
- Sodium 452.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black licorice bootlace