Recipe by HokiesMom
When I was a kid the monkey bars were my nemesis - could never get all the way across without someone blocking my way. Well with these bars that is not going to happen as they are filled with my favorite thing (chocolate) and even something healty - wheat flake cereal (think Wheaties!) Recipe calls for cutting them into 2x1" bars but I always cut mine larger. If you cut them 2x1 you'll get 5 dozen bars but my way I get about 4 dozen. :)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups wheat grain cereal, coarsely crushed (think Wheaties)
- 1 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup wheat grain cereal, coarsely crushed (Wheaties again)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and great a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, water, and vanilla.
- Mix the flour and baking soda together using a whisk and gradually add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips, 2 cups of the cereal, peanuts and raisins.
- Spread in the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cereal over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into bars or 2x2 gives you about 40 bars or 2x1 gives you about 60 bars.