Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I created this pasta salad while I was a student at Penn State University. Inexpensive, healthy, delicious and is just as tasty as a leftover. You may add sliced chicken or turkey breast for a one dish meal!!
- 1 package whole wheat penne
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 -8 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup locatelli romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar (less or more depending or your taste)
- 2 cups cooked sliced chicken or 2 cups turkey breast (optional)
- Boil pasta and cook till al dente.
- Drain and toss with a small amount of olive oil.
- Let cool slightly.
- Add vegetables, oil, vinegar, and toss with cooked pasta.
- Add romano cheese.
- salt/pepper to taste.
- Add cooked chicken/turkey breast (optional).
- Refridgerate for at least 15-30 minutes.
- You may need to add more oil or vinegar depending on how moist you desire the salad to be.
- You may also replace the balsamic vinegar with any vinegar you prefer.
This was delicious. I like that it was made with whole wheat pasta. I didn't add the chicken or turkey which was optional. The dressing with balsamic vinegar and olive adds flavor but is not overpowering the way Italian dressing would be.