Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My cousin, who is a children's book illustrator, learned to make clafoutis (klaw-foo-TEE) while she was living with a French family for a summer. You can get the whole story at http://www.monicabooks.blog-city.com/cherry_clafoutis_summer.htm
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cherries (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a baking dish (almost any size or shape that is 8x8 or somewhat larger).
- After washing and removing stems, arrange cherries in bottom of baking dish.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients until batter is smooth.
- Pour over cherries.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until batter is set and lightly browned.
- The clafoutis is puffy when it comes out of the oven, then sinks down to be more flan-like as it cools.
- I like to serve warm, sometimes with a bit of whipped cream.
- Watch out for the cherry pits. The good thing is that it makes you eat more slowly.