Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband and 6 year old son regularly request this recipe when it is their turn to pick a meal. They are more than willing to wait the marinading time for the end results. I accompany this dish with steamed broccoli with cheese sauce and 2nd's and 3rd's are frequent.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sirloin tip roast, cut into thin bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 1 (1 inch) piece gingerroot, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in the water
- Put cut sirloin pieces in a 13x9 glass baking dish or other flat non-metal dish.
- Cover meat in order starting with sugar, then garlic slices, shredded ginger and finally onion.
- Combine soy sauce and sherry and pour over meat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat; strain marinade and set aside.
- Heat oil and add meat, cooking until no longer red; add marinade and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch to thicken.
- Serve over rice.
This is very yumpy!!! The adults and the kids all loved it - some times this is hard to do! Instead of sherry wine, I used a nice red wine and added 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the ingredients. It was very good, and I will be making this again - for sure!!!
I made this and it was very very salty. is it correct to add 1 cup soy sauce and sherry. It was so salty we couldnt it eat.
My daughter made this (11) and it was fabulous!! Very simple and tasy. Not too sweet which I like. I too used extra garlic. she definitly wants to try this again.