Recipe by I'mPat
Love Mongolian Lamb and this one from Australian BH&G Diabetic Living looks like it is packed with flavour and also healthy.
Top Review by Peter J
Yum! At first I thought the amount of seasoning might have been a bit light on but the flavour carried through and went well with the slightly char-grilled effect of the wok on the lamb. It contrasted the crispy vegies really well. My wok doesn't have a lid so I just used a little extra water and gave it a little longer to steam through.
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (salt-reduced)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons black bean sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 500 g lamb steaks (leg trimmed of fat and cut across the grain into strips)
- 1 brown onion (cut into wedges)
- 100 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 celery ribs (thinly sliced diagonally)
- 1 zucchini (large halved lengthways, thinly sliced)
- 3 carrots (Halved lengthways thinly sliced)
- 1⁄4 Chinese cabbage (shredded)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (fresh finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 210 g rice (1 cup Doongara specified cooked according to package directions)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cornflour in a small bowl and stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, black bean sauce and five spice powder and set aside.
- Brush a little oil over a large wok and heat on high until wok is hot and add half of the lamb and stir fry for 2 minutes or until lamb is almost cooked and transfer to a plate.
- Brush to wok with a little more oil and reheat wok to high and repeat with remaining lamb and then remove lamb from the wok and put on the plate with first batch of lamb.
- Brush the wok with the remaining oil and heat on medium-high and add the onion, mushroom, celery, zucchini, carrot, cabbage, garlic and ginger and stir fry for 2 minutes and then add the water, cook covered tossing twice, for 2 minutes or until the vegetable are just tender.
- Add the lamb and sauce to the wok and toss to combine and heat through.
- Divide the rice between plates and top with mixture to serve.