1/2 Photos of Mongolian Lamb Casserole With Couscous
1 hr 15 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
This is a delicious dish that apart from the cooking time is really easy to throw together and is not time consuming. The lamb is lovely and tender and the sauce has a wonderful flavour and the best part is once it's cooking you can just sit and relax, so you can enjoy guests company or just chill and watch some television, until its done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg lamb fillets or 1 kg leg of lamb, boned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup black bean sauce (I use Amoy brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium onions, sliced thickly
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce (I use Thai kitchen brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons cornflour
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 (125 g) packets quick-cooking couscous
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1Cut lamb into strips. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, add lamb in batches and cook until browned. Remove lamb and set to one side, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and add onion and garlic, cook until onion softens.
- 2Return lamb to pan along with sugar, soy sauce, black bean sauce, stock, water, sherry, sweet chili sauce and 5 spice powder.
- 3Simmer, covered, about 50 Min's or until lamb is tender.
- 4Blend a little water with cornflour, add 3 green onions, stir, add cornflour and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- 5Serve with couscous and top with remaining sliced green onions.
- 7Heat water in a pan and add vegetable stock to water, add sachets of couscous and leave about 2 Min's until soft.
- 8Remove sachet cut open and pour into bowl fluff with a fork and serve.
- 9Or prepare couscous according to your packet directions, just add vegetable stock to water, as this gives added flavour to couscous.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mongolian Lamb Casserole With Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.6
- Calories from Fat 695
- Total Fat 77.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.9 g
- Cholesterol 185.0 mg
- Sodium 917.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 51.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce
sweet chili sauce
vegetable bouillon granules