- 1⁄2 lb flank steak, slice thinly against the grain,slices should be about 1 1/2 inch long
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 8 scallions, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sliced bamboo shoot (*sliced carrot or celery can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock or 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- a little cornstarch, mixed with a little water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (apx)
- 3 -5 drops sesame oil
- Chinese chili sauce or cayenne (if you like it spicy) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinade 20- 30 minutes.
- Use highest heat for all steps.
- Heat a wok to the smoking point.
- Pour in the oil.
- When very hot stir fry the beef until just cooked.
- Remove to drain off oil.
- Clean the wok if necessary.
- Reheat with a little more oil.
- Stir fry the seasoning ingredients for a few seconds until you get a strong aroma.
- Stir in the vegetables; keep stirring until heated through, about two minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and stir until it starts to bubble.
- Return the meat and stir to blend well.
- Thicken a little with the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir in a few drops of sesame oil.
- Serve at once.