with reddened annatto rice. (makes 3 1/2 cups rice). The marinade is absolutely fabulous. Very simple recipe even though the ingredients are long. from chef2chef.
For the chicken and mongo marinade
- 3⁄4 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup spanish sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salsa, sriracha
- 4 (8 -10 ounce) chicken breasts, with one small wing bone attached
For the Annatto Reddened Rice
- 1 cup raw long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons annatto oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, stem and seeds discarded and minced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced medium small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced med. small
- 1 stalk celery, cleaned and diced med. small
- 2 small bay leaves, broken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade including chicken, mix well and reserve. Marinate the breasts 1-3 hours covered in refrigeration.
- Make rice:.
- In a saucepot heat the prepared annatto oil and the butter on medium high heat.
- Now add the scotch bonnet and the garlic and stir. Cook 15 seconds and then add the remaining vegetables and the bay leaves and stir well. Allow the vegetables to cook until well glazed. (Allow almost 10 minutes to really get the flavor out of the veg.) Stir frequently.
- Now add the rice and the salt and pepper. Stir well. Now add the chicken stock and stir once. Bring to a boil and then immediately lower the heat to very low. Cover the pot and cook until all of the stock is absorbed. (About 13-15 minutes). Can be kept warm for 30 minutes, (or more) before serving if desired.
- Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill them until just cooked through and place the chicken on a warm plate.