Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This a fantastic vegetarian dish from the Philippines, which was given to me by a Filipina work colleague. There is a lot of oil, but skimping on that affects the flavour. Good on its own or with plain boiled rice. You can make this thick or soup-like, but either way it's delicious.
- Rinse the mung beans, and put in a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, simmer for a few minutes then take off the heat. Leave for an hour.
- Bring to boil again, turn heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Heat the vegetable oil. When hot, put in garlic and fry until golden. Don't let it burn. Add the onions, and fry until they are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until slightly reduced.
- Add the mung beans and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a LITTLE water if you think it looks too dry.
- Add the spinach, black pepper, salt and 1 tbs lime juice. Bring to a simmer until the spinach is cooked.
- Serve with olive oil and lime wedges to your own taste.