Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
This recipe was created by my husband Armando (Mondo) who has come up with this recipe after searching for a good hot & spicy pickle and couldn't find one that was spicy enough! People beg for jars of these and my friend Stacey claims that they cure any cold!!HA!
- 30 -40 medium pickling cucumbers
- 4 cups vinegar
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- fresh dill
- 1 garlic, bulb whole cloves and some chopped
- 3⁄4 cup kosher salt or 3⁄4 cup sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peppercorns
- red dried hot chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Clean cucumbers in cold water.
- Place water, vinegar, sugar, salt in large pot.
- Place sprigs of dill (stems and all) and pickling spices in cheesecloth. Knot the cheesecloth and place in pot with the rest of ingredients.
- Bring to a boil to make a brine solution.
- Place a few peppercorns, few garlic cloves or chopped garlic, 1/8 teaspoons Alum, a couple dried whole chile peppers in each empty canning jar that is going to be used. If you desire hotter pickles, add optional 1 - 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes to each jar.
- Then place pickles in jar and fill with brine solution.
- Wipe rims of jars with clean cloth, place lids and screw on bands fingertip-tight.
- Process for 8 minutes in water bath.
- Remove to cloth-protected counter and let rest undisturbed for 24 hours to cool.
- Pickles are ready to eat in about 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Excellent recipe - just opened a jar from the first batch we made and we were so excited about them that we are making a second batch today. A bit tricky to follow the recipe as written as the steps don't quite make sense but after rereading for a third time we got it done.
Will update when I get to taste these in a couple of months. But for now, these were so easy to make. I used dried peppers because I don't like playing with fresh ones. My mouth waters just looking at the jars, and I can't wait to taste them. Thanks for posting Monica.
Last year I was searching for a hot and spicy pickle recipe and I came across this one. I had never made pickles before and when I found this one and made the pickles everyone loves them. In fact I have a good friend who just loves these pickles, infact she always puts her order in to buy 4- quart size jars about every 2 months. I have to say that your husband Mondo is a very smart and creative person. Thank you so much for the great recipe.