Recipe by Roosie
Credit for this recipe goes to "Jane" from the SimpleLiving discussion forums. I'm all for healthy cookie recipes, so I thought I would post it here. With wheat germ, whole wheat flour, oats, raisins and peanut butter, these are "stick to your ribs"-type cookies! I have posted the recipe as she directed, making large cookies, but feel free to make smaller ones... just be aware that you may need to adjust the cooking time! No one wants *burnt* healthy cookies!
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
Thanks so much for this recipe. I was looking for a peanut butter-oatmeal raisin cookie. Finding this was such a treat... all I was asking for and HEALTHY too! I substituted ground flax seed which is something hard to fit into the diet. The other flavors made the flax seed unrecognizeable. Yay! I made regular sized cookies (55 in the batch) and cooked them for 10 minutes at the suggestion of the last review. I think they turned out great but want to try them on hubby before giving a rating. Tip: I was unhappy with the appearance of the first few trays so I started rolling them and pressing them with a fork as one does with regular peanut butter cookies. I dipped the fork in sugar between cookies. This greatly improved their appearance.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup water or 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with a mixer until creamy.
- Beat in eggs and water or buttermilk.
- Mix together flours, oats, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Combine with peanut butter mixture.
- Fold in dates or raisins.
- Drop by ice cream scoopfuls 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake at for 18- 20 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Store in an aritight container.