Recipe by Nunzio's Daughter
The best way to describe mondel bread is "Jewish Biscotti I use walnuts, but you can try any nut that suits your mood.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (use your favorite)
- 3 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- by hand, mix sugar and vegetable oil.
- add eggs and vanilla.
- add nuts.
- add 1 cup of flour and baking powder.
- add additional flour until dough is stiff and not too sticky, and workable by hand.
- shape into loaves- either 3 long or 6 short.
- bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 40-45 minutes.
- remove from oven, slice, turn onto sides and bake until dry and crispy.