Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another favorite recipe that my sister and I serve to the group of want-a-be race car drivers that meet in the Man Cave every Monday night. The flavors are simple but go so well together. We like all our veggies crisp tender so you may need to increase the cooking time a little to suit your taste.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 6 cups coarsely chopped cabbage or 1⁄2 head cabbage
- salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet fry bacon, remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle chop coarsely and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 TBL of bacon grease.
- Heat skillet over medium heat (adjust as needed) and add the peppers and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until just crisp tender.
- Add the cabbage and wilt until the desired tenderness, about 10 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the skillet and mix well.
- Add salt and lots of pepper to taste.
We really enjoyed this recipe. For a change I didn't change any ingredients and the flavour turned out great. I changed up the cooking order though; onions first, then peppers. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.