Those monks know their stuff! The sherry makes this wonderful - don't leave it out! I like this best with Parmesan on top, but cheddar is awfully good too. Serve with crusty bread for a hearty, meatless meal.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram (or more)
- 3 cups beef stock (or vegetarian stock) or 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetarian stock)
- 1 cup dry lentils, washed and sorted
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese or swiss cheese, to top
- In a large pot, saute the carrot and onions 3-5 minutes in the olive oil.
- Add and saute one minute more: thyme and marjoram.
- Add the stock, lentils, salt, parsley, and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat.
- Let cook until lentils are tender (about 35-45 minutes).
- Add the sherry and allow to cook for just a few minutes more.
- Top with cheese to serve.