1/5 Photos of Monastery Lentils
1 hr 10 mins
Those monks know their stuff! The sherry makes this wonderful - don't leave it out! I like this best with Parmesan on top, but cheddar is awfully good too. Serve with crusty bread for a hearty, meatless meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (or more)
- 3 cups beef stock (or vegetarian stock) or 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetarian stock)
- 1 cup dry lentils, washed and sorted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese or swiss cheese, to top
- 1In a large pot, saute the carrot and onions 3-5 minutes in the olive oil.
- 2Add and saute one minute more: thyme and marjoram.
- 3Add the stock, lentils, salt, parsley, and tomatoes.
- 4Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat.
- 5Let cook until lentils are tender (about 35-45 minutes).
- 6Add the sherry and allow to cook for just a few minutes more.
- 7Top with cheese to serve.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monastery Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 849.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 16.3 g