Recipe by CookbookCarrie
Mom made this recipe when I was a kid in the summer to use up those zucchini we always had too many of. I didn't like it then, but love it now! Omit the sausage and make it vegetarian!
Top Review by Barb G.
Very, very good,very easy. I didn't have fresh tomatoes. So I used my home canned tomatoes, drained. Which worked out very good. Everyone really liked the flavor. Will sure be using this recipe this summer. Thank you Carrie for posting it.
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, browned and drained very well
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (or use deli slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray 2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place one layer of zucchini in bottom of dish, follow with a layer of tomato, a few rings of onion and some sausage.
- Then cover with mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers until you get to the top.
- Bake approx 30 minutes until cheese is melted and a knife inserts easily into the center (to be sure zucchini is done).