Recipe by AndreaVT96
This recipe I received from my mom several years ago. I am not a big fan of cabbage normally, but I LOVE this soup. It's even better the next day. And it's so easy. Perfect for a cold winter's day, wonderful with a salad and some good hot bread.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut up in sm. pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 10 allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, put cut-up cabbage and raw ground beef, diced onion and all ingredients EXCEPT for the tomato paste.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat until the meat and cabbage are done. (NOTE: You do not have to drain the fat from the ground beef.) (The cabbage and beef usually get done at about the same time--if not, just cook a little longer till the cabbage is done.).
- Turn heat down to low, add the tomato paste and cook about 15 minutes longer.
- I usually add a little salt and pepper as I cook, then season again to taste when the soup is finished.