Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from my mother, and she may have gotten it from her mother. These are really easy to throw together anytime and reheat well if you make too many. These are not bug fluffy biscuits, but more dense and flat, we used to use them for strawberry shortcake because they are great "soakers".
- 6 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Blend in butter or margarine with a pastry cutter until mixture resemble fine meal.
- Stir in eggs and milk.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead once.
- Pat into 3/4-inch and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes (time may need to be adjusted depending on how large you cut your biscuits).