1/4 Photos of Mom's Vegetable Soup With Chicken or Beef(German Gemuse Suppe)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Nothing can beat a bowl of steaming hot soup to warm the soul! This hearty chicken (or beef) vegetable soup is especially welcome and satisfying on a cold winter's day, or if you're feeling a bit under the weather. Serve with a crusty French bread or rolls and fresh butter; would also be great topped with matzo/matzoh balls. From my mother, who has been making this soup since time immemorial. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 round beef bones (soup bone) or 1 whole chicken
- 8 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 -5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped (white and light-green parts only)
- 2 -3 stalks celery, sliced (with leaves)
- 1 -2 chicken bouillon cube
- ground black pepper (do not add any salt)
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into rosettes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1To an 8 quart stock pot, add beef bone or chicken, water, bay leaf, onion chunks, and sprigs of parsley. Bring to a boil; cover, then simmer about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until beef or chicken is almost done.
- 2Remove meat bone or chicken to a plate and let cool enough to handle. Strip meat from the bones into chunks (discard bones), and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile add sliced carrots, leek, chopped celery with leaves, chicken bouillon cubes and pepper (do not add salt). Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4Add the potatoes and the chunks of meat from the cooled soupbone or the chicken; cover and simmer about 35 minutes longer.
- 5Add cauliflower rosettes, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chopped fresh parsley and remove from heat.
- 6Serve steaming hot with a crusty French bread or rolls and butter.
- 7Makes good leftovers (soup is great on day 1, but tastes even better on days 2-3), and freezes/reheats well.
- 8VARIATIONS: May add about 6 oz. frozen peas at same time as cauliflower (increase cooking time by about 5 minutes to compensate for the cold peas). I also sometimes add a cup or two of fresh sliced zucchini and/or green beans a few minutes after adding the cauliflower. Also good with sliced hot dogs or kielbasa sausage added during the last 5 minutes or so of cooking time (enough time to heat through).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Vegetable Soup With Chicken or Beef(German Gemuse Suppe)
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.1
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 187.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: