Recipe by Beth Gambrell
This recipe has been passed down through three generations in my family. It makes a very smooth, thick and tasty soup. Also is an added bonus, is very good for you and low in fat. You can vary the amount of magarine to suit your tastes. Good garnished with tabasco sauce. I always serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches but my husband also likes it with just cornbread.
- 1 cup cabbage
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -4 cups tomato juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut all vegetables into slices and place in large pot with enough water to cover plus about 1 inch more.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add margerine.
- Cook slowly until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour then mash finely.
- Add tomato juice and salt to taste.
- Simmer slowly 15-30 minutes.