Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I remember the first time Mother made this casserole, back in 1949. She and I really loved it. So we made it often. Even the leftovers are good. In this version, I have doubled her recipe to feed a larger family.
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles or 1 (12 ounce) package macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen green peas or 1 cup canned green peas, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans chunk tuna, drained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 1⁄4 ounces cans sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed potato chips
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, 1 cup cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms.
- Transfer to a 9" x 13" inch baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.
Turned out great! I reduced the cheese to about 1 1/2 C and omitted the mushrooms as I didn't have any. I think that the next time I make this, I will reduce the tuna back to 1 1/2 cans as I thought 2 cans seemed a bit too much for us. Thanks for sharing such a yummy "comfy" casserole recipe!
Incredibly easy and SOOO good!
Oh heavens...this brings back so many memories and good feelings! How lovely to be able to make it again. Thanks for sharing.