Recipe by Joanie Grow
I remember the first time Mother made this casserole, back in 1949. She and I really loved it. So we made it often. Even the leftovers are good. In this version, I have doubled her recipe to feed a larger family.
Top Review by mums the word
Turned out great! I reduced the cheese to about 1 1/2 C and omitted the mushrooms as I didn't have any. I think that the next time I make this, I will reduce the tuna back to 1 1/2 cans as I thought 2 cans seemed a bit too much for us. Thanks for sharing such a yummy "comfy" casserole recipe!
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles or 1 (12 ounce) package macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen green peas or 1 cup canned green peas, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans chunk tuna, drained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 1⁄4 ounces cans sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed potato chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, 1 cup cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms.
- Transfer to a 9" x 13" inch baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.