1/5 Photos of Mom's Traditional Italian Cookies
2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
These cookies are a staple in my family. They are so simple, yet so incredibly wonderful. This recipe has been passed down from my great-grandmother. I've listed here the original recipe from my Nonna and great Aunt, as it was given to my mother. It can easily be cut in half, or in fourths. Obviously the full recipe makes ALOT OF COOKIES!! My mom has been known to actually make the full batch, especially for Christmas. Besides the traditional "knot" shape, the cookie dough can be rolled out and cut with cookie cutters. Pumpkins, Autumn leaves, Christmas trees, stars, and Easter eggs are but a few of the shapes we like to make these in. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does. (Prep time includes dough resting time, and cooking time includes glaze drying time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups flour
- 12 large eggs
- 1 lb butter or 1 lb margarine
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond extract (or anise)
- 1For Cookie Dough: Cream butter & sugar.
- 2Beat in eggs, baking powder, extracts and 3 cups of flour.
- 3Add remaining flour until a stiff dough forms.
- 4Chill dough for at least an hour to make it easier to work with.
- 5At this point you can form the dough into knots (small for cookies- larger knots yield egg biscuits) or roll out the dough and use cutters.
- 6Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375°.
- 7For Glaze: I put about 2 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl, add the extract (just a splash) and a little milk.
- 8Then I mix and add more milk until it gets to a smooth consistency- I don't like it too runny.
- 9Should be like the consistency of a thick alfredo sauce.
- 10Once cookies are cooled, dip the tops of each one into the glaze, or drizzle glaze over the cookies, and allow to dry completely.
- 11Can be topped with colored sugar or sprinkles, your choice.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Traditional Italian Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (3687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.7
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.0 mg
- Sodium 74.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 2.3 g