Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Growing up, we never had tostadas without mom's special sauce. It's simple but very flavorful!
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Combine well in large bowl until tomatoes are in fine bits (I prefer to use my hands).
- Refrigerate 3-4 hours to allow flavors to mix.
- Pour over tostada and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
This sauce is fantastic.. As simple as it is, its pretty flavorful - and you know what? The texture and flavor is EXACTLY like the mild red table sauce they serve at a Mex place we goto for lunch. Our toppings were the refried beans from recipe #134841, lettuce, tomato and this sauce.. and topping it with parmesan was different for us - and it worked great! Will definitely be doing this again and again - thanks!