Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I'll admit, I eat them without the pepper but others in the family eat them right. ;o)
Top Review by ItalianPrincess3
To us, these were just okay. Nothing to write home about. Way too salty for our tastes with so much soup in the recipe. I didn't care for the tomato soup in the recipe, so it was kind of a flop for us. Sorry, I was really hoping it would surprise me.
- 3 medium bell peppers
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup, divided
- chopped onions (optional) or onion powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide peppers lengthwise and remove seeds. Cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and let cool.
- Combine hamburger, bread crumbs, egg and a little less than a 1/2 can of tomato soup. (Don't use too much or the filling will be too loose) Add some chopped onion or onion powder to taste. (I use about 1/2 teaspoons onion powder).
- Fill each pepper half with meat mixture.
- Brown the peppers, meat side down, over medium high heat for approximately 6 minutes. Turn them over and cook about 5 more minutes. Then spoon the rest of the condensed tomato soup over the peppers.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, turning them over occasionally and spooning the sauce over the top a couple times.
- Serve over cooked white rice.
- Note: If someone doesn't want the peppers, you can make a few patties of the meat mixture and cook them a long with the stuffed peppers.