Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Everyone who has ever tasted this loved it!! I actually use expired buttermilk, because it just tastes better. Marinating time is not included.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cut chicken up into quarters; you can also use whole chicken sections with the skin on.
- Combine the marinade ingredients, and marinate chicken for at least 3 hours up tp 24.
- Thread the chicken on skewers and grill.
- If broiling, add a few drops of liquid smoke.
- Serve with hummus and pita.
This is some serious bbq chicken. The sauce has such a wonderful, mellow flavor. The hint of each spice is there, and made me wonder what flavor I would experience next. Each mouthful was a true delight. I made the recipe exactly as directed. I might add another 1/8th tsp. red pepper flakes next time, but maybe not, because it is one of those wonderful dishes you don't want to mess up. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.
This is very tasty marinade for chicken. It is spicy but subtly so leaves a lovely after taste. The instructions couls be a little clearer. IE List of ingredients could start with 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or a whole chicken, skin on cut into quarters (or whatever your intent) And step one of the instructions is not clear. This is very minor and certainly did not detract from enjoying this wonderful recipe I have some (unused) marinade left over and I think I will try it on Prawns. Thanks Najwa
The spicing was subtle, but very nice. The chicken was moist and tender. I ommitted the oil. Thanks