Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother used to use these in one of her lessons, when she was a Home Economics teacher in the '60s.
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add yolk and mix.
- Add flour, beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white.
- Form dough into small balls.
- Dip each ball in egg white and roll in nuts, place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Make depression in each cookie, the back of a small measuring spoon works well.
- Bake 10 more minutes.
- Cool, add small spoonful of jelly in the depression of each cookie.
- Substitutions: may use walnuts or almonds, instead of pecans.
- May use icing instead of jelly.
These are the best Thumbprint Cookies I have ever made, and I've been making them since the 70s when I received a book called Sunburst Farm Family Cookbook (from Santa Barbara, CA). The only difference between this one and their recipe is Walnuts vs Pecans, and the addition of a 1/2 tsp sea salt. One of my family's favorites!