Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a family tradition at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's been around longer than me.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups meal
- 4 tablespoons baking powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk, divided
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 5 eggs, divided
- 2 -3 cups turkey drippings or 2 -3 cups turkey stock
- The day before: Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/2 the baking powder, salt. Mix in melted shortening and two eggs. Add just enough milk to make cornbread. Once the cornbread batter is blended, add the celery and onions. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. It will not be completely cooked, but firm enough to handle.
- Refrigerate and let sit overnight.
- The next day (or two-three days) crumble cornbread by hand into little chunks. Add the poultry seasoning, 2 T baking powder, three eggs and liquid from turkey or stock. Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Add remaining milk if needed.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour in 2" pan.