Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe was given to my Mother in 1961 in Omaha, Nebraska. My Dad was in the Air Force there (my parents were new to the midwest). My Mom got a whole new menu for Thanksgiving from her neighbors and those recipes are what we still have today for Thanksgiving! * You can make ahead and freeze this before baking and then thaw in the refrigerator 1 day prior to baking! Helps a lot with all the Thanksgiving cooking to get it out of the way in advance.
- 1 cup shortening, we use Crisco
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, can use 1/3 cup Splenda Brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated fine
- Cream shortening and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and orange juice.
- Sift in flour.
- Add all other ingredients and mix.
- Place mixture into greased, 4 cup, ring shaped mold.
- Chill at least 5 hours before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.
This is delicious. I made it and got raves. Everyone asked for the recipe. I put peas in the center and it looked beautiful. Great for company.