Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom used to make these to go with her chili on cold days. They are spicy, cheesy corn bread muffins that are excellent. I hope you enjoy them too. You can also use montery jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese. Your favorite salsa works best in these and i have found that home made salsa is the best at making these unbelievable.
- 2 cups cornmeal mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup mild salsa, drained
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix egg, milk, cornmeal and oil together in a bowl.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cup cheese and salsa.
- Add hot sauce for a spicier muffin.
- Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes sprinkle the tops of the muffins with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
So the first time I made these, I didn't realize cornmeal mix was something different from cornmeal. Needless to say, they were greasy little rocks. :) But I tried them again the right way and they were really good. I like my cornbread a little sweeter, but hubby loved them and I'm sure we'll have them again with chili and such.
We thought these were delicious!. I served them with Crock Pot Beans 'n Wieners Crockpot Beans'N Wieners. These would make a meal all by themselves with a tossed salad added. I will be making these again. Thanks Blink for a nice addition to my recipe collection.