Recipe by Karen Hertzberg
My mom had a way with taking inexpensive or left-over meat and cream soups and inventing wonderful casseroles. Here's one of my childhood favorites.
Top Review by Trikster
Made this dish last night for my family and they really liked it. It's a keeper! I added some shredded cheese on top of the meat mixture and also some garlic powder with the salt and pepper. Yummy!!
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen tater tots
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken soup)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, sauté celery and onion in butter.
- Pour into large bowl and set aside (do not add to casserole dish yet).
- In skillet, brown the beef.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I sometimes add a dash of garlic salt).
- Combine meat with celery and onion mixture.
- Place 1 layer of Tater Tots in the bottom of a round casserole dish.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Add another layer of Tater Tots on top of the meat.
- In separate bowl, combine soup and milk.
- Pour soup mixture evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Cover with foil if Tater Tots get too brown.