Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom had a way with taking inexpensive or left-over meat and cream soups and inventing wonderful casseroles. Here's one of my childhood favorites.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, sauté celery and onion in butter.
- Pour into large bowl and set aside (do not add to casserole dish yet).
- In skillet, brown the beef.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I sometimes add a dash of garlic salt).
- Combine meat with celery and onion mixture.
- Place 1 layer of Tater Tots in the bottom of a round casserole dish.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Add another layer of Tater Tots on top of the meat.
- In separate bowl, combine soup and milk.
- Pour soup mixture evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Cover with foil if Tater Tots get too brown.
Made this dish last night for my family and they really liked it. It's a keeper! I added some shredded cheese on top of the meat mixture and also some garlic powder with the salt and pepper. Yummy!!
This is comfort food at it's comfyest! I really enjoyed this much more than I thought I would when I first decided to make it. The simplicity of it as well as the inexpensiveness of it make it a good meal for family. I will definitely add this to my regular recipes that I make often. By the way, I used the cream of mushroom soup that has roasted garlic in it.
Very good. Instead of onions and celery, I browned my meat in onion soup mix. I also added chedder cheese.