Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is so much better the newer ones that use spice or dressing mixes!! Definitely use good quality, mild California chili powder. OPTIONAL: Serve with sliced avocados. Family Note: This is Mom-mom's recipe, except I increased the spices and added olives and cilantro.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn, with liquid
- 1 (6 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and sliced (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon california chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Brown beef, onion and garlic in large saucepan with salt. Drain off grease. Add remaining ingredients except cilantro. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve into bowls, then garnish with fresh cilantro (and optional avocado slices).
Hubby loves this soup, although I have to use whole canned tomatoes instead of diced since he won't eat a cooked tomato he can actually see. I use the smaller amounts on the spices and garnish with sour cream.
Great! My mom used to make taco soup, too -- this brought back memories. I've been on a soup diet, and this hit the spot quite nicely for a change (except I cheated a bit and served it with Doritos!). Thanks, laurenpie! Made for PAC Spring 2011.