Cook1 hr 45 mins
Comfort food all the way. I love swiss steak with fresh green beans, white rice and good crusty bread!!
- 2 lbs beef chuck steaks, 1-inch thick, trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 small new potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 (9 ounce) package green beans, frozen, fresh
- Heat oven to 425. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, leaving 1 1/2 inch overhang all around.
- Cut steaks into equal portions and place in prepared pan. Top with sliced onions and bell peppers. (I always use more onion and bell peppers, personal preference).
- Whisk together soup, tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Pour over steaks, onions and bell peppers.
- Cover pan with large sheet of heavy duty foil; roll edges tightly with overhang to seal.
- Bake at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes; reseal with foil. Bake additional 45 minutes.
- Uncover pan; add green beans. Reseal.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes or until beans are tender and steak is cooked through.
- Stir well before serving.
Cooked this in the crockpot in place of the oven...it was a big success...the family loved it and said to make sure to save the recipe...thank you for sharing your Mom's wonderful recipe.
My DH took one bite and said, "Wow! This is good!" He has NEVER, EVER done that with ANY recipe I have made! Still was raving about it this morning and, since I made the entire recipe for the two of us, he is looking forward to leftovers. This was easy to prepare and you can do other things between the steps. I did use top round steak as my market didn't have chuck steak. Next time I will cook it in two 30 minute segments instead of the two 45 minute segments as the meat was a little done for our liking but still tender and tasty! That could also be because of the different cut I used, so I am not blaming the recipe. I served it with white rice but I'd like to try egg noodles next time. Definitely a keeper!
Easy recipe that produces real comfort food - the gravy is very tasty - I did add1 tsp chili flakes. I didn't put in any potatoes (I would love them in the gravy though) because I served it with butternut squash. Excellent meat thanks babygirl65