Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is how our family makes Swiss Steak.
Make and share this Mom's Swiss Steak recipe from Food.com.
- Salt and pepper the round steak.
- Flour the round steak.
- Pound flour into steak with a meat mallet on both sides.
- Cut onion into rings.
- Cut steaks from round steak.
- Fry the steaks in oil until brown. Set aside.
- Fry onions in the same pan.
- Add the meat back to the pan.
- Add the canned milk and enough water to make gravy.
- Simmer until meat is tender.
This is a real throwback to the 50's, it reminds me of my grandmothers cooking very much. Great taste and tender beef that went so well with mashed spuds and green peas. This would be yummy with mushrooms added and maybe a touch of garlic powder. We both very much enjoyed this recipe, Thanks for posting this Dee :D
I use regular milk. Yum!