Recipe by Suzy_Q
My mothers recipe. The absolute best..and easiest. Excellent with kielbasa or cocktail weiners too.
- 3 lbs chopped meat
- 5 slices bread
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sauteed onion
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 0.5 (1 lb) box brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Soak the bread in milk.
- In a large pot, combine beer, chili sauce and brown sugar. Stir and simmer over medium heat, uncovered. While the sauce is simmering, combine meat, milk soaked bread, eggs, onion and spices thoroughly with hands and form small meatballs. Place meatballs on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- At this point the sauce should be thicker and you can add the cooked meatballs.
- Simmer on low-medium heat, covered for 1 hour or until sauce is nice and thick.
- *Serve hot with toothpicks as an appetizer.
- **Serve over egg noodles or rice for a meal.