Recipe by red and white kitchen
A holiday tradition in our family. Parboiled and cooked off in butter and brown sugar gives a wonderful caramelized coating to the moist and tender sweet potato. Labor intensive but worth the love and time Mom put in.
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin 2 hours before serving time.
- In a large dutch oven place sweet potatoes ,add enough cold water to cover potatoes.
- Over medium heat bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 25 minutes until skin is softened.
- Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Cut off ends and peel past yellow color and eyes.
- Slice into 3/4 inch slices.
- In a large non stick skillet low/medium flame,melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar over butter. Cook until just bubbling.
- Add sweet potato slices in one layer. Cook until deep orange color with lightly browned edges. 15 minutes first side,10 minutes second side.
- If more brown sugar/butter is needed add 2 tablespooons to 1/4 cup of brown sugar in between batches.