1/1 Photo of Mom's Sweet Potatoes
2 hrs 5 mins
red and white kitchen's Note:
A holiday tradition in our family. Parboiled and cooked off in butter and brown sugar gives a wonderful caramelized coating to the moist and tender sweet potato. Labor intensive but worth the love and time Mom put in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Begin 2 hours before serving time.
- 2In a large dutch oven place sweet potatoes ,add enough cold water to cover potatoes.
- 3Over medium heat bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 25 minutes until skin is softened.
- 4Drain and cool to room temperature.
- 5Cut off ends and peel past yellow color and eyes.
- 6Slice into 3/4 inch slices.
- 7In a large non stick skillet low/medium flame,melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar over butter. Cook until just bubbling.
- 8Add sweet potato slices in one layer. Cook until deep orange color with lightly browned edges. 15 minutes first side,10 minutes second side.
- 9If more brown sugar/butter is needed add 2 tablespooons to 1/4 cup of brown sugar in between batches.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.9
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 120.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 1.2 g