Chef #177914's Note:
Thick, spicy and sweet, this chili sauce is more like a chutney than the usual chili sauce. Delicious with any meat and great slathered on just about any sandwich instead of mayo or ketchup. This recipe has been a family favourite for more than 50 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the tomatoes in a large non-reactive container or canning kettle. Add 2 cups of the vinegar, stir gently, cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. In the morning drain well and discard the liquid.
- 2In a canning kettle combine the drained tomatoes with the remaining 2 cups of vinegar, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.
- 3In a large square of cheesecloth tie together the cloves, allspice and broken cinnamon sticks. Add the spice bag to the tomato mixture.
- 4Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer gently until thickened, about 2-1/2 hours. Watch closely and stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- 5Bottle in hot sterilized jars.
- 6Process in a hot water bath: 10 minutes for 8-ounce jars or 15 minutes for pint jars.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Sweet Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (6497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 934.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1202.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 228.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 218.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g