1/4 Photos of Mom's Swedish Style Meatballs
1 hr 45 mins
This is a recipe I remember my mother making for dinner parties when I was very young. I loved to sneak in and sample a few when she wasn't looking. Mom served this with rice as a main dish. This has a very different sauce from other Swedish meatball recipes I have since tasted -so I am not sure if these are authentically Swedish or not. I just know that they are rich and tasty and there were never any leftovers. I snagged this from Mom's recipe collection. This makes about 30 medium sized meatballs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb lean ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground lean pork
- 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs (1-2 large stale roll freshly ground up)
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash ground ginger, to taste
- 1 dash ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1Soak breadcrumbs in cream 5 minutes,or until very soggy.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 2 tsp butter and sauté onion until soft and tender.
- 3Combine meats well (if you can't get each type, that's ok- just end up with 1 1/2 pounds ground meat total).
- 4Add soaked bread crumbs mixture, sautéed onion, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, and spices to taste to the meat mixture.
- 5Mix well until combined.
- 6Cover and chill meat mixture for 30 minutes to firm up.
- 7Form about thirty 1 1/2" size meatballs (using a meatball scoop).
- 8Brown meatballs in 1-2 Tbsp butter in a very large deep sided skillet until browned on all sides, but not cooked all the way through yet; then remove from skillet using a slotted spoon and set aside in a covered dish to keep warm.
- 9Combine boiling water,coffee powder and crumbled bouillon cube together until blended.
- 10In the hot drippings from the pan, add 2 Tbsp butter and stir until melted.
- 11Whisk in 2 Tbsp flour, sprinkling in the flour gradually so it doesn't clump and whisking vigorously until blended.
- 12Whisk in the coffee mixture and cook and stir until gravy thickens and bubbles, over medium or medium-high heat.
- 13Add meatballs to the pan, cover,lower heat to medium low, and let meatballs cook in the gravy until fully cooked (approx 30-40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Swedish Style Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.3
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 125.0 mg
- Sodium 776.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 19.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: